In June the girls in the family went to a cooking class at La Jolla Groves.
It was three hours of delicious food from a fabulous chef.
One of the recipes was tomato soup that made me cry for joy. Love it.
Tuscan Tomato Soup
(Adapted from Kent Andersen's recipe)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 1/2 cups diced and seeded tomatoes (I used canned tomatoes because our garden is a bit behind)
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cups heavy whipping cream (I just used milk, whipping cream is not usually in my fridge)
1/2 cup basil pesto
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: add tomato paste to adjust color and flavor or if it was too water
1. Heat oil in a medium large soup pot. Coat the bottom of pan and let that get hot.
2. Add the onions and cook until translucent
3. Add tomatoes and warm to a simmer
4. Add chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes
5. Add pesto and whipping cream. Do not boil soup after cream is put in it.
6. Blend to desired consistency. (I used my trusty blender)
7. Use s & p to taste.
And this soup is the perfect way to class up your grilled cheese. Seriously.
Rating: 4.5.The only downside is that it is a little rich so it makes it hard to eat a ton, but I love it.